Below are the answers to many of the most frequently-asked questions about The Refuge Ministries. If you don’t see the answer to your question below, feel free to email us at email@example.com or call us at 614-991-0131.
How much does it cost?
There is no cost. Participation in the ministry is free, and there is no insurance necessary. Because we are a working ministry, the wages of the men in Phases 2 and 3 serve to sustain about ⅔ of our operating costs! The rest comes from generous individuals and churches, but all together affords us the chance to offer the men and their families this opportunity completely free of charge.
I am a man who wants to get in. How can I do that?
Intake occurs every Monday at our weekly Open Orientation. In order to protect the integrity of our program, we only accept applicants every Monday morning. Interested applicants are welcome to attend the information session, fill out an application, participate in an interview with our staff, then (upon acceptance), leave with the coordinator to enter Phase 1 that same day. Families/support systems are also welcome to attend.
When and where does Orientation occur?
Orientation begins every Monday at 10:00am, at Veritas West Church – 12 S. Terrace Ave, Columbus Ohio. The information session will run from 10-11am, approximately, with applicant interviews to follow.
What items do I bring with me to Orientation?
- 8 pairs of pants/shorts
- 8 shirts
- 3 sweaters/sweatshirts
- 3 pairs of shoes
- 8 pairs of socks & underwear
- 1 Bible & notebook
- Personal hygiene products:
- 1 shampoo & conditioner
- 1 body wash & bar of soap
- 1 deodorant
- 1 non-electric toothbrush,1 tube of toothpaste
- 1 bag non electric razors, 1 can shaving cream
- 1 hair-style product if needed.
- Our “blessings closet” can help provide any items the applicant is not able to bring.
Do you know of any faith based ministries for women?
The Women’s Refuge is scheduled to open in early 2018. Until then, or if you are not able to participate in our ministry for any reason, these are other facilities that provide treatment for women. Inclusion on this list does not constitute endorsement by The Refuge.
- Safe Harbor (Springfield, OH) – 937-717-5908
- Womens Recovery Center (Xenia, OH) – 937-562-2400
- Amethyst (Columbus, OH) – 614 -242-1284
- Refuge for Women (Lexington, KY) – 1-859-254-0041
- Talbot Hall – detox – (Columbus, OH) –614-257-3760
- Wheeler Mission -Women (Indianapolis, IN) – 317-687-3630
- Teen Challenge For Women (Columbus, OH) – 614-476-4600
- Mission Bible Training (Gaastra, MI) – 1-906-265-6247
- Neighborhood House Inc. – outpatient (Columbus, OH) – 1-888-653-5557
- Stepping Stones Recovery – outpatient (Portsmouth, OH) – 740-354-6550
- Rural Recovery – outpatient (Athens, OH) – 740-593-6152
- The Woods at Parkside (Gahanna, OH) – 614-471-2552
- Maryhaven (Marion, OH) – 614-445-8131
How old do you have to be to get into The Refuge?
We only accept men who are 18 years old or older.
Are you able to take sex offenders?
Unfortunately, we cannot accept registered sex offenders.
Can a man detox at The Refuge?
For the safety of our staff and men, we cannot medically detox, and therefore cannot accept men whose drug of choice was benzodiazepines or alcohol unless they have are already detoxed. Our staff is, however, very much accustomed to helping men through the process of withdrawal/detox from heroin, opiates, and other substances. These may be handled on a case-by-case basis.
Which theology does your Ministry follow?
The Refuge is a ministry that bases its programming on orthodox Christian values.
How do I get more information about Family Day?
When men phase up to our Phase Two home, they can begin making weekly phone calls. At this point, they will be the ones to invite you to Family Day and provide all of the necessary information about the event.
If my son doesn’t have a diploma – do you have any resources to help him get his GED?
Yes. We do all we can to provide opportunities for the men to launch with everything they need to walk as responsible men of God. He will have more opportunity to explore these possibilities as he moves into our Phase 3.
I would like to make a physical donation. Who should I contact?
Thank you! For a complete list of our current needs, please the “immediate physical needs” section at the bottom of our “Pray, Serve, Give” page.
To inquire about making or delivering donations, please call or email Michele Davis: firstname.lastname@example.org
My son has already been through several other rehabs. What makes The Refuge different from other programs?
- We seek to honor God in everything we do.
- We’ve seen the power of authentic, transparent discipleship. The men gain the support and honest friendships of a brotherhood here that it is difficult to find or build elsewhere.
- We focus on holistic care & training. Addiction cannot be isolated and treated as one single issue. By the time men get to our doors, more often than not, addiction has taken over every part of their lives. We believe that any hope for change comes through Christ, practically through the new life that He offers – transformation of personal integrity, family values, work ethic, ongoing and intentional service, authenticity, leadership, and prayer. We are by no means perfect – but this is the model we strive for.