Thinking about entering the Refuge?
Want to know how we can offer a ministry like this at no cost?
Come to a Monday Orientation and find out!
Potential applicants, family members, friends, community members, church members - anyone is welcome!
Come check out the Refuge for yourself.
The first step every man must take to enter the residential ministry is to attend a Refuge Orientation,
held every Monday at 10:00am at:
Veritas West Community Church
12 S. Terrace Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43204
10-11am - Information session
13-month Residential Program Overview
Current and alumni testimonies
11:30am-2pm - Applicant interviews
*Interview times are dependent on the number of applicants each week, but please note: Applicants must attend information session to be considered for an interview.
Men should come prepared to enter the same day. The following is a list of items that may be brought in. We can supply these items if necessary.
- 1 Bible & notebook
- 8 pairs of pants
- 8 shirts
- 3 pairs of shoes
- 3 sweaters or sweatshirts
- 8 pairs socks & underwear
- Personal hygiene products (no alcohol)
- 1 shampoo, 1 conditioner, 1 body wash/soap, 1 deodorant, 1 non-electric toothbrush, 1 tube of toothpaste, 1 bag of non-electric razors, 1 can shaving cream, 1 hair style product.
Anyone bringing anything beyond the items listed above will be required to donate extra items to the ministry. We do not have enough storage for everyone’s personal items, so please do not plan to bring them unless specified! (Exceptions are determined on a case-by-case basis.)
Please note: Prohibitions to Entry.
- We cannot accept men who have open or active warrants; all probation/parole appointments must be non-reporting or phone-reporting (not in person); no scheduled upcoming criminal court dates or future criminal indictments.
- We cannot accept men who have been sentenced to The Refuge “in lieu of” incarceration. Often, we find that men forced to come because of legal issues are not here for the right reasons.
- We will consider allowing a man with open traffic issues or outstanding fines to enter the Refuge, provided he is not required to attend a court appearance. If any fines may result in a warrant for arrest, we will need written agreement from a friend or family member that they will take care of the fine.
- Any man currently paying (or in arrears on) child support will need either 1) a written response from the case manager stating that payments may be placed on hold or deferred until the completion of the 13 months of the ministry, OR 2) written communication from a friend or family member who will be paying the child support payment for the duration of the 13 months of the ministry.
- We cannot accept men required to register as sex offenders.
- We do not allow any prescription medications that are considered “mood altering”. Please consult your physician prior to making any decisions concerning prescribed medication. A letter from your physician MAY be required for entry into The Refuge.
- We are a working ministry, so any man currently earning disability must be willing to relinquish it, because legally he cannot simultaneously work for the Refuge and stay on disability. (The maximum hours someone can work a week while on disability is 20 hrs/week, and while in the 3rd and 4th phases of our program, men are expected to work from 20-50 hrs/week.)
- Men who have already completed the Refuge ministry will not be considered for re-entry. We can, however, offer support through Champions groups, local churches and alumni connections, as well as recommendations for other residential programs if necessary. For more information, attend Orientation or contact us at email@example.com.
Again, there is no cost to enter the Refuge. The work of the men while in the ministry provide for their room and board… ”A hand up, not a hand out!”