Thinking about entering the Refuge?
Want to know how we can offer a ministry like this at no cost?
Come to a Monday Orientation and find out!
Potential applicants, family members, friends, community members, church members – anyone is welcome!
Come check out the Refuge for yourself.
The first step every woman must take to enter the residential ministry is to attend a Refuge Orientation.
Starting on March 12, 2018, they will be held every Monday at 9:00am at:
Veritas Community Church: West
12 S. Terrace Avenue, Columbus OH 43204
ORIENTATION DATES BEGIN MONDAY, MARCH 12.
What Happens At Orientation
9-10am – Information session
- 12-Month Women’s Residential Program Overview
- Current testimonies
- Open Q&A
10am-12pm – Applicant interviews
*Interview times are dependent on the number of applicants each week, but please note: Applicants must attend information session to be considered for an interview.
Waiting List Policies
Each week at Orientation, those who have not interviewed/who are not already on the waiting list will be guaranteed an interview. At the close of that interview, they will be placed on the waiting list if a good fit for the Refuge, and otherwise will be given resources to other women’s ministries or shelters as appropriate.
Once placed on the waiting list, each woman will be responsible to know her status on the list and watch for how many beds are available – then attend Orientation that week. (For example, if a woman is #3 on the waiting list and there are 4 beds available, she should attend Orientation. If she is #5 on the waiting list and 4 beds are available, she should still attend Orientation if possible, in case those in front of her do not attend.) At Orientation, those on the waiting list will be required to attend second interview to make sure that they are still a good fit for the ministry. If so, they will be the first to receive a bed.
Beds available each week will be posted on social media and on the Refuge website.
Interviews do not guarantee acceptance into the Refuge.
Those on the waiting list must attend Orientation and a second interview to be assigned a bed.
What To Bring To Orientation
Women should come prepared to enter the same day. The following is a list of items that may be brought in. We can supply these items if necessary.
- 1 Bible & notebook
- 8 pairs of pants/shorts
- 8 shirts
- 4 pairs of shoes
- 3 sweaters or sweatshirts
- 8 pairs socks, underwear & bras
- Personal hygiene products (no alcohol)
- 1 shampoo, 1 conditioner, 1 body wash/soap, 1 deodorant, 1 non-electric toothbrush, 1 tube of toothpaste, 1 bag of non-electric razors, 1 can shaving cream, 1 hair style product.
Anyone bringing anything beyond the items listed above will be required to donate extra items to the ministry. We do not have enough storage for everyone’s personal items, so please do not plan to bring them unless specified! (Exceptions are determined on a case-by-case basis.)
Please note: Prohibitions to Entry.
- We cannot accept women who have open or active warrants; all probation/parole appointments must be non-reporting or phone-reporting (not in person); no scheduled upcoming criminal court dates or future criminal indictments.
- We cannot accept women who have been sentenced to The Refuge “in lieu of” incarceration. Often, we find that those forced to come because of legal issues are not here for the right reasons.
- We will consider allowing a woman with open traffic issues or outstanding fines to enter the Refuge, provided she is not required to attend a court appearance. If any fines may result in a warrant for arrest, we will need written agreement from a friend or family member that they will take care of the fine.
- Women may not bring their children into the ministry with them. However, The Refuge has partnered with Safe Families to offer a Christian family hosting alternative. The goal of both Safe Families and The Refuge is to see families reunited after some time to grow in personal health. Learn more about Safe Families on their website.
- Any woman currently paying (or in arrears on) child support will need either 1) a written response from the case manager stating that payments may be deferred until the completion of the 12 months of the ministry, OR 2) written communication from a friend or family member who will be paying the child support payment for the duration of the 12 months of the ministry.
- We cannot accept women required to register as sex offenders.
- We do not allow any prescription medications that are considered “mood altering”. Please consult your physician prior to making any decisions concerning prescribed medication. A letter from your physician MAY be required for entry into The Refuge.
- We are a working ministry, so any woman currently earning disability must be willing to relinquish it, because legally she cannot simultaneously work for The Refuge and stay on disability. (The maximum hours someone can work a week while on disability is 20 hrs/week, and while in the 3rd and 4th phases of our program, women are expected to work from 20-40 hrs/week.)
If you need help immediately, please check our Resources For Women page to locate a facility that is open now.
You can also help fill our home with all the things the women will need by checking our Amazon Wish List.
Please call our information line at 614.991.0131.
Again, there is no cost to enter the Refuge. The work of the women while in the ministry helps provide for their room and board… ”A hand up, not a hand out!”
Learn more about how we started our Women’s Ministry in the video below.