Below are the answers to many of the most frequently-asked questions about The Refuge Ministries. If you don’t see the answer to your question below, feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 614-991-0131.
How much does it cost?
There is no cost. Participation in the ministry is free, and there is no insurance necessary. Because we are a working ministry, the wages of the women in Phases 2 and 3 will ultimately sustain about ⅔ of our operating costs! The rest comes from generous individuals and churches, but all together affords us the chance to offer the women and their families this opportunity completely free of charge.
I am a woman who wants to get in. How can I do that?
Intake occurs every Monday at our weekly Women’s Open Orientation. In order to protect the integrity of our program, we only accept applicants every Monday morning. Interested applicants are welcome to attend the information session, fill out an application, participate in an interview with our staff, then (upon acceptance), leave with the coordinator to enter Phase 1 that same day. Families/support systems are also welcome to attend.
When and where does Orientation occur?
Beginning on March 12, 2018, orientation will start every Monday at 9:00am, at Veritas West Church – 12 S. Terrace Ave, Columbus Ohio. The information session will run from 9:00-10:00 am, approximately, with applicant interviews to follow.
What items do I bring with me to Orientation?
Women should come prepared to enter the same day. The following is a list of items that may be brought in. We can supply these items if necessary.
- 1 Bible & notebook
- 8 pairs of pants/shorts
- 8 shirts
- 4 pairs of shoes
- 3 sweaters or sweatshirts
- 8 pairs socks, underwear & bras
- Personal hygiene products (no alcohol)
- 1 shampoo, 1 conditioner, 1 body wash/soap, 1 deodorant, 1 non-electric toothbrush, 1 tube of toothpaste, 1 bag of non-electric razors, 1 can shaving cream, 1 hair style product.
Anyone bringing anything beyond the items listed above will be required to donate extra items to the ministry. We do not have enough storage for everyone’s personal items, so please do not plan to bring them unless specified! (Exceptions are determined on a case-by-case basis.)
Do you know of any faith based ministries for women?
The Women’s Refuge is scheduled to open on Monday, March 12, 2018. Until then, or if you are not able to participate in our ministry for any reason, these are other facilities that provide treatment for women. Inclusion on this list does not constitute endorsement by The Refuge.
- Safe Harbor (Springfield, OH) – 937-717-5908
- Women’s Recovery Center (Xenia, OH) – 937-562-2400
- Amethyst (Columbus, OH) – 614 -242-1284
- Refuge for Women (Lexington, KY) – 1-859-254-0041
- Talbot Hall – detox – (Columbus, OH) –614-257-3760
- Wheeler Mission -Women (Indianapolis, IN) – 317-687-3630
- Teen Challenge For Women (Columbus, OH) – 614-476-4600
- Mission Bible Training (Gaastra, MI) – 1-906-265-6247
- Neighborhood House Inc. – outpatient (Columbus, OH) – 1-888-653-5557
- Stepping Stones Recovery – outpatient (Portsmouth, OH) – 740-354-6550
- Rural Recovery – outpatient (Athens, OH) – 740-593-6152
- The Woods at Parkside (Gahanna, OH) – 614-471-2552
- Maryhaven (Marion, OH) – 614-445-8131
How old do you have to be to get into The Refuge?
We only accept women who are 18 years old or older.
Are you able to take sex offenders?
Unfortunately, we cannot accept registered sex offenders.
Can a woman detox at The Refuge?
For the safety of our staff and women, we cannot medically detox, and therefore cannot accept women whose drug of choice was benzodiazepines or alcohol unless they have are already detoxed. Our staff is, however, very much accustomed to helping women through the process of withdrawal/detox from heroin, opiates, and other substances. These may be handled on a case-by-case basis.
Can a woman bring her children with her to The Refuge?
Women may not bring their children into the ministry with them. However, The Refuge has partnered with Safe Families to offer a Christian family hosting alternative. The goal of both Safe Families and The Refuge is to see families reunited after some time to grow in personal health. Learn more about Safe Families on their website.
Which theology does your Ministry follow?
The Refuge is a ministry that bases its programming on orthodox Christian values.
How do I get more information about Family Day?
When women phase up to our Phase Two home, they can begin making weekly phone calls. At this point, they will be the ones to invite you to Family Day and provide all of the necessary information about the event.
If my daughter doesn’t have a diploma – do you have any resources to help her get her GED?
Yes. We do all we can to provide opportunities for the women to launch with everything they need to walk as responsible women of God. She will have more opportunity to explore these possibilities as she moves into our Phase 3.
I would like to make a physical donation. Who should I contact?
Thank you! For a complete list of our current needs, please the “immediate physical needs” section at the bottom of our “Pray, Serve, Give” page.
To inquire about making or delivering donations, please call or email Michele Davis: email@example.com
My daughter has already been through several other rehabs. What makes The Refuge different from other programs?
- We seek to honor God in everything we do.
- We’ve seen the power of authentic, transparent discipleship. The women gain the support and honest friendships of a sisterhood here that it is difficult to find or build elsewhere.
- We focus on holistic care & training. Addiction cannot be isolated and treated as one single issue. By the time women get to our doors, more often than not, addiction has taken over every part of their lives. We believe that any hope for change comes through Christ, practically through the new life that He offers – transformation of personal integrity, family values, work ethic, ongoing and intentional service, authenticity, leadership, and prayer. We are by no means perfect – but this is the model we strive for.